Fire safety breaches in HMO

Landlord John Ellis, of Sleaford, Lincolnshire, was fined £5000 at Lincoln Magistrate’s Court after admitting nine breaches of fire safety rules at three houses in multiple occupation (HMO).

The homes did not have electrical safety certificates and smoke alarms which failed to work. In one home, the front door could not be opened from the inside.

Breach of gas safety legislation

Landlord Michael Jones was ordered to pay fines of £16,000 and costs of £1,500 at Plymouth Magistrates Court for failing to maintain a gas boiler at a privately rented home in the city.

Jones, of Harrow Weald, North London, pleaded guilty to breaching two gas safety regulations.

Failure to have HMO licence and breach of health and safety regulations

A London council is helping HMO tenants reclaim 12 months’ rent after their landlord was convicted of breaking fire and health and safety regulations in a home he has let without a licence since 2009.

Landlord Alan Lempriere was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,916 after Hammersmith Magistrates heard the property had no gas or electrical safety certificates, no working fire alarms, no protected fire escape route and suffered from bad damp problems.

Hammersmith and Fulham Council inspected the HMO after forcing entry with a warrant as Lempriere had ignored repeated requests for housing officers to visit the home.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close