If a family returned from holiday to find a trespasser in their home, it is an offence for the trespasser to refuse to leave if required to do so by a “displaced residential occupier” (s7 Criminal Law Act 1977). Therefore, the police should be called. Section 6 Criminal Law Act 1977 which prohibits the use or threatened use of violence for securing entry does not apply to a displaced residential occupier. [s6(1A)]

Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 gives police powers to remove trespassers.

Where damage has been caused by trespassers, to gain entry, powers are available for the police to require the trespassers to ... Please login or signup to continue reading this content

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.