There have been changes to the regulations since this article was posted.

Please see new guidance here.


From 1 October 2008 sellers and landlords will be required by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for all buildings or parts of buildings when they are sold or rented.

If I have a house with bedsits, must I obtain an EPC for each bedsitting room?

This will depend on the type of tenancy you grant.

Joint and several

If you grant a joint and several tenancy where all the tenants are on one agreement, then this no different to letting a normal house to a single family in legal terms. Therefore, one EPC will be required for the whole house.

Individual let rooms

If you let each room individually on separate tenancies, then according to the DCLG guidance, an EPC is not required:

“An EPC is only required for a dwelling that is self-contained, meaning that it does not share essential facilities such as a bathroom/shower room, wc or kitchen with any other dwelling, and that it has its own entrance, either from outside or through common parts, that is not through another unit.” [Page 10 Energy performance certificates for dwellings in the social and private rented sectors]


“Where individual rooms in a building are rented out and there are shared facilities (eg kitchen and/or bathroom), an EPC is not required. This because an EPC is only required on the rental of a building or part of a building designed or altered to be used separately. Renting a room does not meet the ‘part of a building’ definition.” [page 16, ibid]

The communities EPC guidance is available here Or, newer guidance (February 2011) is available here (see  Q & A page 27)

The Guild of Residential Landlords is not entirely satisfied that this advice is correct (please see below important note), however after clarifying this advice with the DCLG, they replied by email with the following: ... Please login or signup to continue reading this content