England Landlord Guidance

Search England Knowledge Base

1.6.1 Tenant’s Energy Efficiency Improvements

A tenant is allowed to reasonably ask for a relevant energy efficiency improvement. A relevant improvement will only be reasonable if it–

  • can be wholly financed, at no cost to the landlord, by means of funding provided by central government, a local authority or any other person,
  • can be wholly funded by the tenant, or
  • can be financed by a combination of those two arrangements

A request must be in writing and may be given by post.

When a landlord receives a request, a landlord will only be able to refuse consent on limited grounds. But, because a request is only “relevant” if it is of no cost to the landlord this shouldn’t be too much of an issue. A landlord may fund improvements if they prefer.

A landlord needs to provide an “initial response” within one month of service of the tenant’s request and there are provisions available where consent is required from a superior landlord. It is possible for a landlord to also serve a “counter proposal” which specifies an alternative (or multiple alternatives).

There will be a few exemptions from having to carry out improvements such as if the works would reduce the market value of the property by more than 5% or consent from a third party has been refused.

An application to the First-tier Tribunal can be made to determine any disputes that may arise.

Similar posts you may like