England Landlord Guidance

Search England Knowledge Base

1.6.4 Energy Improvement Grants

A number of grants may be available for making energy improvements to a residential home.

The Affordable Warmth Obligation is probably the most familiar and is universally available. It is available on rented property as well as owner occupied and may cover all or part of the cost of insulation or replacing a boiler. In order to be able to obtain the work, the occupier must be on one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

There are a number of extra conditions including certain limits on the amount of income received and other benefits are paid in certain circumstances. 

More information and how to apply is available at https://www.gov.uk/energy-company-obligation.

From time to time, Government, private organisations or local authorities provide other grants or incentives. You can find eligibility by using the service on GOV.UK here: https://www.gov.uk/energy-grants-calculator.

Similar posts you may like