Request for Direct Payment Two Months Arrears Universal Credit (UC47)


England and Wales



Product code: F089  UC47

Under Universal Credit guidance it is allowed for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to make direct payment of the housing element of Universal Credit in certain situations. The guidance states that where a tenant is one month or more in arrears they will consider paying directly after offering budgeting support to the tenant. If however the tenant becomes 2 months or more in arrears, the DWP shall make direct payment to the landlord.

The download link is to the website which is now an online request.

When can a Managed Payment to a landlord be requested?

A Managed Payment to a landlord can be made when:

  • a claimant is in arrears with their rent for an amount equal to, or more than, two months of their rent. A third party deduction to recover the rent arrears can also be requested at this point, or
  • a claimant has continually underpaid their rent over a period of time, and they have accrued arrears of an amount equal to or more than one month’s rent. In the first instance Personal Budgeting Support will be considered, using the standard PBS referral process. A Managed Payment of the housing costs element to the landlord will be considered for those claimants who have longer term problems paying their rent. Personal Budgeting Support and Alternative Payment Arrangements