As many long term members may know, we are always worrying about the number of emails we send. Are there too many? Are there two few?
At one stage we felt we weren’t sending enough emails (worried that people were paying a subscription were not getting many emails during a quiet spell). We therefore created the “all” newsletter which basically would email those subscribers with literally everything we published however small.
This was auto-subscribed to lots of members and with new members, the box was ticked to start with so needed un-ticking to unsubscribe.
The problem now is that when we are speaking with people on the telephone and we say – “you should have got an email”, the response is more commonly that they ignore most of them because primarily it’s news and there are so many. This makes it hard for customers to distinguish what’s important and what’s not.
On the other hand, there are lot’s of customers who use the “all” subscription and like to get the news on the day and read it.
I think the main problem with the “all” subscription from our point is that it was initially auto-subscribed. People can now choose when joining but when it was pre-selected they tended to leave it selected. This is something we have recently addressed.
Therefore, in an attempt to fix this problem, we have decided to introduce a new “weekly digest”. This is available to all subscribers (and soon to non-subscribers). This should hopefully fix the problem and reduce the number of emails yet let people see everything published during the week. Although named weekly digest it may run bi-weekly on occassion.
What we have done
With immediate effect we have subscribed all users of the “all” newsletter to the “weekly digest” newsletter.
We have then removed all persons from the “all” newsletter and put it back on the membership page for people to manually subscribe to.
Whilst we were on, we have deleted the “only very important” newsletter because looking at the numbers, those people were already subscribed to “main” so there was no need for duplication.
What action should be taken?
If you want to receive an email every time we publish something however small, then you need to edit your preferences and subscribe to the “all” newsletter.
You probably don’t remember what you are and aren’t subscribed to so now is the time to check and see what you want. Ticking the box will subscribe you. The options are (some may not be visible due to subscription limitations):
- Weekly digest – as a minimum we would recommend this one. It will be a weekly or bi-weekly email containing a summary of the weeks articles and updates to templates (if any). Some articles may require certain subscriptions to be visible.
- All news and updates – an email will be sent whenever we publish a new article. This could be up to daily.
- Main news and updates – we try and determine what we think is important enough to warrant an email. Might be one per week although normally it will go in periods of a few emails in a row and then quiet for a time.
- Forms and templates – this will inform you if we add or change a template or form.
- Accreditation emails – only for accredited landlords and only relates to accreditation such as a change in the code of practice for example. These emails are quite rare.
- Sales emails – we never pass your details on to third parties. However, we may email you with some offer by either ourselves or a partner company. These emails are rare.
- Legionella updates – provides updates to the legionella template. These emails are rare and are not needed if subscribed to the forms and templates.
- Rent Smart Training – this newsletter produces rare emails and is for customers of our Rent Smart Wales training.
Whenever you receive an email from us, at the bottom there is always an unsubscribe link where you can quickly change your preferences without needing to login.