We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Moving in a Tenant (England) | Tenancy Agreements (England)

Adding new tenant to existing tenancy agreement (AST)

10 Oct 2017 | 2 comments

Hi there

My tenant who recently moved in would like her brother permanently added to tenancy agreement. I will of course ask him to do a full tenancy reference check but can I alter existing agreement or should I cancel the current one and draw up a new agreement and if so is there a procedure I should follow? Man thanks Jo



  1. guildy

    You shouldn’t add the new tenant to the existing tenancy but instead do a new tenancy with the new names on. The new tenancy could start from the next rent day for simplicity.

    There is no need to end the old one because the new one automatically does that in law (known as surrender and regrant by operation of law).

    If there’s a deposit, that will need unprotecting and then re-protecting in the new names.

    • Londongirl

      Super many thanks for your help

      Kind regards

      Johanna Syal

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)