Condensation (England)

Are trickle vents a good idea where there is some condensation/mould?

20 Jan 2017 | 1 comment

I let out a detached property and am replacing all the upstairs DG windows. They are old and inefficient anyway, but in just one bedroom – the north east corner of the building – there is a bit of a mould problem. The tenant is trying, will leave windows open and has those little boxes with crystals in them. I am hoping the new double glazing will fix this (I’ve had several builders etc look at it and all feel it is condensation that is the problem).

I did give them my big professional dehumidifier (before anyone suggests that) and I know that would solve the problem – it would turn the atlantic into the sahara frankly – but they find it too noisy to use at night and don’t want to leave it on when they are out.

I wonder whether to have trickle vents put into the windows. Apparently as long as the windows don’t already have them, I’m not required to, but of course once I’ve put them in they will always have to have them.

Anyone got any experiences/advice to share?


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    Most trickle vents I’ve seen have a flap allowing them to be opened or closed. If you can get that type then you might as well.

    The best thing for condensation or damp in our experience are thermal laminate boards. We put these in our properties where needed including basements. There’s a bit of work involved but once done it fixes the problem.

    Alternatively, I hear many good reports about heat recovery extractor fans. You can get ones that are whisper quiet and run 24 hours a day (they are really energy efficient so this does not cost the tenant any more than a regular fan).

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)