We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Tenant Obligations (England) | Tenant Wants to Leave (England)


12 Jun 2018 | 1 comment

We have a tenant who has a 6 month tenancy agreement with us and this expires in October 2018, however she has informed us that she is breaking her contract with us and is moving out of the property in July as she needs to move closer to her family to help with child minding. We are happy for her to do this but would like to inform her that in order to cover our costs in re-letting the property she will have to forfeit her deposit, in addition we are also going to ask her for 1 months rent to be paid upfront to cover the cost of any works that may need doing in the property following the property inspection, however should no jobs be required we will then reimburse her accordingly. Can you confirm this Is acceptable?


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    We wouldn’t take the extra rent like you suggest because that would be treated as a deposit and require protecting. You already have a deposit for that purpose which is (hopefully) already protected in a scheme.

    How we deal with this situation is we ask them to pay for an advert at whatever it costs us (£60 if you use UPAD with our discount link) and then clarify they remain liable for the rent until either the property is re-let or until the end of the tenancy whichever is the sooner.

    Alternatively, you could agree a payment to effectively buy them out of the tenancy for which the tenancy will end early on the agreed date.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)