Entry and Refusal (England) | Gas Safety (England)

CP12: Arranging with Tenant

13 Oct 2016 | 2 comments

Hi there,

This may be a silly question but I’m rather new at this so please forgive me!

My annual boiler service and CP12 certificate are due by November 16th. What is the best way to arrange this to be done? Should I get my tenant to call and make the appointment (since someone will have to be there on the day), or should I just make the appointment myself and let my tenant know that on the said day, someone will need to be there?
I know I will be given a time slot between 8 and 1 or 1 and 6 or whatever, but I don’t feel it’s right for me to be at my tenants house for that length of time just waiting about.




  1. guildy

    In the first instance, it might be worth contacting the tenant via email or phone and see if they are available one day near the time. If you can agree a time when they are there it will be easier so they can be in.

    If that fails, you can send a formal letter giving a date and time. Our standard letter also states that the gas engineer will use your keys to enter if they’re not in.

    Assuming the tenant doesn’t object, your engineer can then enter at the time and do the checks.

    • Dollifer

      Thank you, that’s great. I have emailed him asking for a few dates so that I can arrange it. If we aren’t able to agree a date then I’ll just have to ask him if he minds if I wait there for the engineer instead. I wouldn’t be happy leaving the keys with the engineer, that’s assuming I could even get them to him in the first place.
      Thanks again.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)