We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Record Keeping and Data Protection (England) | Tenant References and Guarantors (England)

Do I need to document my reference checks?

22 Feb 2018 | 3 comments

I have called my tenants employer and previous landlord to ask the relevant questions, however do I need to document these e.g. by asking the employer/landlord to confirm it by email?



  1. guildy

    No, unless you want them for your own file. You must however retain a copy of the ID (such as passport) you have taken for the right to rent checks for at least 12 months after the tenant has vacated.

    • chris_mills

      Thank you for the quick response! My only thought was whether an insurance company might not pay out if, say, the tenant damaged the furniture and I didn’t have proof that I’d undertaken reference checks on the tenant – have you had, or know of, any experience of this?

  2. green123

    I investigated getting landlord insurance from my bank, Nat West. The bank is quite adamant and clear that it only grants landlord insurance if there are two references on the tenant. So if these were not obtained, or there is no evidence of them, then it is a valid reason for the bank not to pay out on an insurance claim. If you took the bank to the ombudsman, you would lose. It is as clear as day.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)