I have a tenant on an AST, fixed term for 6 months from November 2016, thereafter, periodic.
His parents are guarantors.
His US girlfriend will be staying with him as a visitor in a couple of weeks’ time, but they are now asking if she would be able to move in permanently. She will be a student for 10 months at a local university..
Am I correct that the steps to follow are:
- Get girlfriend to complete tenancy application.
Do I have send her EPC?
- Do background checks. Get right to rent information. Get someone to look at her passport/ID in her physical presence.
If willing, can the University do that for me as my agent?
- Reissue completely new guarantee? Necessary?
If so, do I have to get them to reapply on application form?
- Reissue a completely new tenancy in both names, with all accompanying documents as before (prescribed info, how to rent, Smoke Alarm etc already included in standard AST. Also crim record declaration and management regs with relevant parts of headlease that they have to abide by).
Guarantee and AST to begin before she visits him?
Does smoke alarm have to be rechecked?
(Condensation, fire assessment and legionella assessment docs are in the flat but I could email them to her also.)
Do I have to re-do inventory and get her to sign?
- They sign, witnessed where necessary, send to me, I sign and send to them.
Once tenancy started, unprotect deposit and re-protect. (If I unprotect it before tenancy begins, they might change minds and then deposit would be left unprotected – ?)
Am I correct that Guarantors guarantee the rent and other tenancy obligations, not the person, as it were, so if tenant left and girlfriend remained, tenant’s parents would be liable for her breaches?
I have asked head landlord about it and will probably be told I will have to pay another fee to them.
Can I charge girlfriend any fee?
Sorry this is long but it seemed good to have it all in one place. Thanks!