We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms (England)

Wood Burner

21 Feb 2017 | 1 comment

Hi – what is the landlords responsibilities if there is a woodburner in a rented property before new tenants take occupation?


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    A carbon monoxide alarm must be installed according to the manufacturers instructions within the room containing the wood burner.

    Otherwise, there is no legislation comparable to gas safety for example, requiring any specific periodic inspection or certificate.

    However, the appliance will have to have been installed in accordance with building regulations and a check that it is safe to use at each letting should be made by a competent person. In particular the flue will need to be checked to ensure it’s not blocked or been misused by previous tenants (for example by putting other combustible materials in the burner that may have affected the flue such as plastics).

    Also, the seals and ropes on the door will need to be checked and also the backplate that it is in good condition (I believe backplates need regular changing – every few years).

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)