Recent Articles

NEW: view our housing changes time-line

Must landlord install safety glass?

Alker v Collingwood Housing Association - [2007] 2 EGLR 43 Court of Appeal, Laws, Carnwath and Moore-Bick L.JJ. February 7, 2007 The claimant tenant occupied premises owned by the defendant landlord. Her tenancy agreement required the landlord to repair and maintain the structure and exterior of the building. The front door to the property ...

Implied repairing obligations in short leases

By section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 there is to be implied into every lease of a dwelling-house to which the section applies (initial fixed term of less than 7 years) a covenant by the landlord: (a)  to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house  (including drains, gutters and external pipes); (b)  to keep ...

Do I need safety certificate on new boiler?

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 / 2451 The regulations require landlords to have a gas safety certificate at no more than 12 monthly intervals Do I need a gas safety certificate on a newly installed boiler?

Corgi Changes to Gas Safe Register

CORGI Loses its Bite as Gas Installer Scheme moves to Capita 02 February, 2009 On 8 September 2008, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) awarded a new 10 year contract to Capita Group plc to provide a new registration scheme for gas installers. This will begin on 1 April 2009 and will, with immediate effect, replace the current CORGI system

Electrical Safety – Housing Health and Rating System – Housing Act 2004

The statutory guidance relating to electrical safety is copied below. However, the requirements are only enforceable after a notice has been first served upon you by a local authority. However, in theory there is no reason why it shouldn't be followed for the "due diligence defence". Health effects When electricity passes through the human ...

Portable Appliance Testing

Under the The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994. it is a requirement that all electrical equipment supplied is safe. In particular [schedule 3]:

Fixed electrical installation – House / Flat with 3 or more unrelated persons sharing facilities (e.g. bedsit / shared house)

< blockquote>The manager must- (a) ensure that every fixed electrical installation is inspected and tested at intervals

Holiday Let Agreements

The Housing Act 1988 contains two sets of provisions dealing with the question of holiday accommodation. Firstly, it provides that a dwelling-house let for the purpose of a holiday will not be subject to an assured [shorthold] tenancy. Secondly, it contains a provision permitting the landlord of a dwelling-house used for the purpose of a ...

When is landlord liable to pay council tax?

The question of council tax and who is liable can often arise. Many local authorities will attempt to claim the landlord is always liable whatever the situation but what is the position? For this article, it is assumed that your tenancy agreement contains a provision that the tenant is liable to pay for the council tax. Owner always ...

Can unit be self contained where bathroom and wc shared?

It is clear that a true bedsit type accommodation where all facilities are shared can not be self contained accommodation and therefore the council tax banding will be for the entire house. It is also clear that where a house has been split into fully self contained flats where they have their own kitchen, bathroom and WC for exclusive use, ...