England Landlord Guidance

Energy Performance Certificates

You are in Pre-tenancy

1.5 Energy Performance Certificates

Since 1 October 2008, landlords were required to make available to prospective tenants an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when a property is being advertised for sale or to let. The purpose of the EPC is to show prospective tenants the energy performance of the dwelling they are considering renting.

The certificates show the energy efficiency rating and compares the home’s energy performance related features with the average ratings and draw specific attention to the ‘Green Deal’ (see later).

An energy performance certificate and accompanying recommendation report lasts for 10 years, unless another EPC has been produced within that time, in which case only the latest one is valid.

A landlord must commission an EPC before advertising and use all reasonable efforts to ensure that an energy performance certificate is obtained within 7 days of marketing. If it was simply not possible to obtain the EPC within 7 days then, a further 21 days is allowed but this further 21 days is only allowed if all reasonable efforts were made to obtain the EPC in the first 7 days.

The energy performance indicator as shown in the energy performance certificate must be displayed in any advertisement such as on the internet, in newspapers, magazines, written particulars or any other advertisement. As a minimum, the advertisement should include either the numerical score or the letter representing the energy usage as shown on the EPC.

The EPC must be available to prospective tenants, free of charge, before they are given written details, arrange a viewing or agree a letting. The EPC does not have to be given at this stage, just available if they ask. A copy of the EPC is acceptable.

The actual tenant who takes the property must have been given, free of charge, a full copy of the EPC including the assessor’s recommendation report.

It is a requirement to provide an EPC when the property is to be let as a separate (or self-contained) dwelling. This also applies if a whole house or flat is being let to a group of sharers on only one contract. It is not a requirement to provide an EPC if only a single room in a house is being let or if a house is let room by room on separate contracts.

Breaking the EPC rules can result in a £200 fixed penalty notice from Trading Standards.

EPC's are completed by registered Domestic Energy Assessors (DEAs). An assessor can be found at https://www.epcregister.com/ or seek recommendations from friends and contacts.

Further information is available on the GOV.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates

Although the EPC may suggest a number of improvements that could be made there is no legal obligation to undertake any of these works but it is advisable to discuss with prospective tenants which (if any) of the energy-saving recommendations might be carried out or might already have been carried out. By being transparent about this and managing the tenant’s expectation, a potential complaint may be avoided.

1.5.1 Section 21 Notices

A section 21 notice is the 2 months "no fault" notice that a landlord can serve where there is an assured shorthold tenancy. The notice is discussed in detail in chapter 5.

For assured shorthold tenancies granted on or after 1 October 2015 (including renewals) no section 21 notice may be served unless the tenant has been first provided with an EPC, where an EPC is legally required.

Useful Links

More From the Website

EPC Data Now Public

On 18 December 2011, section 74 of the Energy Act 2011 commenced which allowed regulations to be made allowing data

Energy Act 2011 – An Overview

The Energy Act 2011 is the result of the much talked about Energy Bill receiving Royal assent. You have probably ...

Questions and Answers (for this topic and country)

Replacement of gas heating with electric heating

Hi, I have two questions: 1) A tenanted property's boiler just packed up. The gas engineer says it's repairable however the local environmental officer insists that the boiler should be replaced

Epc requirement for garages and lock-up’s

Is there a requirement for getting a epc for a garage or lock-up to rent out? We have been instructed to market (to rent) a small lock-up (with power) on an industrial estate but we are unsure if


In a block of flats, does the freeholder have any responsibility to get an EPC done? Or does 'landlord' mean just 'leaseholder'? (more…)

Is an EPC required for an HMO?

Is an EPC required for an HMO where rooms are let out on a room by room basis? Our landlords pay the bills and rent rooms individually. (more…)


How long is an EPC valid for? (more…)

Ask a Question

We're really sorry but only subscribers may ask a question or view the answers. Please login or signup to ask a question