Tenant Wants to Leave (England) | When and if Tenant Can Leaving During Tenancy (England)

Altering Tenancy Agreement

14 Aug 2018 | 1 comment

I have a property let under and assured shorthold tenancy to a couple as joint tenants. They have now split up and one has moved out with the other remaining in the house and wanting to take on sole tenancy, in agreement with her previous partner, who wishes to be removed from the tenancy. They have been in the property for over a year. Can I amend the existing agreement or must I formally end it and re-start with a new single tenant agreement.
Thanks, Bryan


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    You will need to start again with a brand new tenancy in the single name. Any deposit will need unprotecting and reprotecting.

    There’s no need to end the old one as the new tenancy will automatically do that for you.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)