We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Insurance (England)

Building’s Insurance as part of a block of flats

31 Oct 2017 | 1 comment

Hello All,

I own a flat in a block of 6. As a group, all leaseholders arranged for building’s insurance for the block. In the past, when I had a leak from my flat into the flat downstairs, I was told to rely on my own insurance for a claim. Now, when I speak to insurance providers about this, they say that I cannot take 2 building’s insurance for the same property.

My question is twofold:
1) Am I entitled to use the block building’s insurance to claim for leaks in future? (my guess is yes, and that the other leaseholder’s don’t want me to use the building’s insurance as to not drive costs up)
2) If not, what sort of insurance should can I take to protect myself in these situations?

Thank you in advance for your comments.



1 Comment

  1. guildy

    As a general rule, you can’t insure individual flats.

    The freeholder normally insures the whole building and then splits the cost between all leaseholders.

    As a leaseholder, you’re entitled to see the policy and then you can check you are covered.

    As a general rule, you should be able to claim for a leak as you describe off the main block policy.

    Please see this useful website for more details about freeholders/leaseholders.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)