During the Tenancy (England) | England | Entry and Refusal (England)

Can i instruct a locksmith to gain entry?

3 Aug 2021 | 1 comment

So the tenant has declared himself bankrupt and is 3 months arrears now.

The landlord has decided to cut her losses and sell the property so an estate agent needs access to take photos and conduct viewings. He has been served a section 21.

There is no spare key held for the property and the tenant is ignoring all communication.

I’ve spoken to a locksmith who is happy to meet me at the property to either cut a key from the existing lock or change the lock and leave the tenant a key in the keysafe outside.

Can I legally do this if I write to the tenant, giving him a week’s notice of my intention?

He had previously said if i needed access he’d leave a key in the keysafe as he works away alot but since declaring himself bankrupt in June, he’s gone to ground. He could have stripped the house bare for all we know.

What can I do?


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    We’d be exceptionally nervous about changing a lock without prior express written consent or request from the tenant.

    Perhaps in the first instance, write to do an inspection giving a date and time. If the tenant is there, the situation could be discussed face to face.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)