We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) (England)

Converting my house to an HMO

19 Aug 2017 | 3 comments

can anyone enlighten me as to what am I required to supply in the way of furniture, Kitchen equipment and television.
Thank you



  1. guildy

    There is no requirement supply anything so it’s down to what the market would generally expect in your area.

    We would have thought in a shared house, most tenants would expect everything to be supplied in particular in the kitchen area – cooker, fridge, washing machine and maybe even a dishwasher nowadays. We more commonly see wifi included too (especially in student lets).

    In the individual rooms is less clear as it depends whether the person has their own items. Have a look on Rightmove and find similar properties and see what they are providing in your area. That should guide you.

  2. Maxine Gannon

    Thank you, very helpful.

  3. brumhomes

    I agree with Adrian, bt you also need to bear in mind that here are other requirements such as fire safety measures that you don’t have to include in a normal family home.

    This page provides good information: https://homestamp.com/tenants-houses-in-multiple-occupation/

    It’s also worth Googling “HMO amenity standards” to find out what the requirements are in terms of room sizes, kitchen and bathroom facilities, etc. Try to find something published by your own local authority if you can, as requirements can vary from place to place.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)