Landlord Wants Tenant to Leave (England)

Council advising tenant to stay

4 Jul 2017 | 1 comment

The section 21 has been issued and asks tenant to move out at the end of july – the tenant has decided they want to go down the council house route but the council are telling them to stay in the property until evicted by bailiffs?! The house is currently being sold and the new buyer has said they are happy for the tenant to remain in the property under the existing tenancy agreement but the tenant is saying they now don’t want to stay as they want a council property – does anyone have any advice at all??


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    This really will be up to the new landlord. They don’t have to obtain a possession order from the court if they don’t want.

    If the tenant gives notice, they won’t be entitled to a council house because they will have voluntarily given up possession. If they stop paying rent with the intention of being evicted, they will have made themselves intentionally homeless and not entitled to a council house.

    If they want to leave, they will therefore need to find another private rented property as things currently stand.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)