Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (England) | Preventing Controlling and Recovering Rent Arrears (England)

Council claiming rent arrears

3 Aug 2017 | 2 comments

Tenant has left property, council have emailed me asking for rent overpayment for 2015, I was paid direct and this is the first time I have been made aware of this, amount paid by council did drop but tenant topped up. She told me her son had left education. where do I stand?, I have opened a dispute with authority



  1. guildy

    The local authority can only reclaim housing benefit from the person who failed to disclose a material fact causing the overpayment. It is possible for a landlord to owe the money back but only if the landlord could reasonably have known it was an overpayment (for example if you knew a tenant had vacated but still carried on receiving the housing benefit). Otherwise, it would normally be the tenant who must pay back the money.

    Please see here for full details.

    • Brook

      Thank you for this information very helpful

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)