We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Ending a Tenancy (England) | England | Landlord Wants Tenant to Leave (England)

Do I need to the original Gas Safety Certifcate and Do I need local council’s permission to serve a section 21 notice?

28 Jun 2021 | 1 comment

I want to serve a no fault section 21 notice, the tenant has the original copy of the gas safety certificate I have a photo, do I need to have the original certificate in my possession prior to serving?

Also do I need to have the local council’s permission in order to serve the notice, the local council’s landlord licensing scheme ended last year awaiting a request to renew with the Government so none currently running?  I’ve read about people getting fined for not seeking permission.


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    A photo will be okay to serve notice but you might need more if court proceedings were required because they might want to see it. Your plumber will likely be able to provide a copy if you can’t find it.

    Under the gas regulations, at least the last two must always be retained (although we suggest keeping them much longer than that).

    Permission is not required from the council to serve. We think the confusion might be about the licensing because the notice can’t be served if you don’t have a licence where one is needed. Perhaps check with the local authority for certain (and perhaps in writing) that a licence is not needed. A fully completed and paid application for a licence is sufficient for serving section 21.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)