We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Deposits and Tenancy Deposit Schemes (England)

DPS – under whom do i register deposit

18 Apr 2016 | 1 comment

Hi I have tenants in a property that The local council paid their deposit.
Its was not a bond but a transfer of money, at the end of the tenancy we are to return back to council not the tenants.
Do I register the deposit under council or tenant ?
Many thanks 🙂


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    You must register the deposit under the tenants name but the council must be named as a “relevant person”. You might need a contact name at the council for this purpose (and use the council’s address for the person).

    You must also put the relevant person into the prescribed information who must be given a copy of the prescribed information. They must also be given an “opportunity to sign” the prescribed information but it’s okay if they don’t actually sign it – just that they have a copy.

    This allows the relevant person to seek repayment of the deposit at the end of the tenancy should the tenant not be co-operative.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)