Check out the new websites that we will be moving to soon - [England]( or [Wales](
Check out the new websites that we will be moving to soon - [England]( or [Wales](
powered by bulletin


Ending a Tenancy (England) | England | Practical Tips for a Pain-Free End of Tenancy Handover (England)

Ending a Tenancy

11 May 2022 | 1 comment

Hi. We have let an Annex to our Principle Dwelling to a couple on an AST in 2018 and now wish to end the Tenancy and de-convert the Annex bringing the property back into a single family unit.

On which grounds should we give Notice. ie Section 21 or  Ground 1 (b) of Part 1 Schedule 2.

Many thanks



1 Comment

  1. guildy

    From what’s described, this might have to have been a contractual tenancy and not an AST (converted building and landlord lives in another part of the converted building).

    On balance, we would probably serve the section 21 notice, which matches the tenancy you’ve given, but if it’s found it should have been a contractual tenancy, that will be the wrong notice, and it should have been a notice to quit.

    Giving notice to quit now might complicate matters, though and if nobody notices it’s possibly the wrong tenancy it should sail through.

    There’s no easy answer in reality.

    For the notice, please see here.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)