Tenancy Agreements (England) | What to Do if Tenancy Is to Continue (England)

Extension of an AST

7 Dec 2016 | 2 comments

Is there any legal way to extend an AST without it lapsing into a periodic tenancy? What alternative ways are there of allowing a tenant to stay on for a few days without renewing the AST?



  1. guildy

    The way to extend an AST this way is to do another tenancy agreement for whatever fixed term you wish. This is known as a “renewal”.

  2. guildy

    Sorry, just noticed the “few days” part!

    There isn’t really anything that can be done other than a new tenancy for a few days as above. That seems a lot of paperwork for no gain.

    It doesn’t really matter what you do though because in order to ask them to leave, you would need 2 months notice so best to just leave it going periodic.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)