England | Responsibilities and Liabilities (England) | Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms (England)

Fire Safety in communal areas

6 Jun 2022 | 1 comment

I have read your article regarding the new fire safety regulations in communal areas and have tried to research further.  I have numerous blocks of flats which already have fire risk assessments.  However am I right in thinking the fire risk assessments should be communicated with tenants?  I am at a loss to work out whether we have a stay put or get out evacuation procedure.  Fortunately our buildings are modern (oldest is 15 years old) but some have mixed use (ie shops/cafes on ground floors).



1 Comment

  1. guildy

    Whether the tenants should be provided with a copy of the risk assessment will most likely be within it. It may recommend that it be done. However, there’s no express legal requirement (compare, for example, gas safety record).

    Again, the risk assessment should show the procedure in the event of a fire.

    From a personal viewpoint (and for the avoidance of doubt, this is a subjective opinion only), we prefer a get out policy. We’ve never held the view about staying put even before Grenfell, which in our view, highlighted the problem with staying put. That being said, I read a report the other day that despite Grenfell, they are thinking of keeping stay put as a recommendation! For the life of me, I cannot understand why! (I know the theory behind staying put but disagree – if you can get out, do so; otherwise, remain).

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)