Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (England)

Housing benefit query

4 Apr 2018 | 1 comment

The council are saying that they will not pay rent as my daughter and her husband live in my property, the clain relates to her husband. I need to show the council that i am responding to this, what should i do


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    Regulation 9(1)(b) prohibits housing benefit from being paid where a relative of the landlord lives with the landlord:

    Circumstances in which a person is to be treated as not liable to make payments in respect of a dwelling

    9.—(1) A person who is liable to make payments in respect of a dwelling shall be treated as if he were not so liable where—

    (b) his liability under the agreement is to a person who also resides in the dwelling and who is a close relative of his or of his partner;

    As it is deemed no payments are liable to be paid to you for rent, no housing benefit is payable.

    Please take a look at this article which outlines letting to a relative.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)