Changing the Rent (England) | Ending a Tenancy (England) | Preventing Controlling and Recovering Rent Arrears (England)

Increasing Rent

17 Jul 2018 | 1 comment

My Client is a landlord who lets his property to a tenant at a monthly rent of £520.00. During a period of hardship the landlord accepted a reduced rent (in writing) from the tenant of £375.00. In the letter there was no time frame of when this reduced rent was to stop or increase. The tenant has continued to pay the reduced rent and now the landlord wishes to increase the rent back to £520.00, however the tenant is not agreeable to this. The tenancy agreement states that the rent can be increased in line with the Act. But ‘the Act’ is not defined in the tenancy agreement and so is ambiguous. What can the landlord do to increase the rent given the tenant’s refusal? He is looking to serve the tenant with a section 8 notice on rent arrears but fears that given the letter accepting a reduced rent this will not be possible and he will not be able to rely on ground 8.


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    From what’s described, a section 13 notice can be used which will increase the rent even without agreement from the tenant. We assume this is what’s meant by the “Act” (section 13 Housing Act 1988).

    Please see here for full details

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)