We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Changing the Terms (England) | During the Tenancy (England) | England

Joint tenants want to replace one of them

23 Jun 2021 | 1 comment

I have 2 joint tenants in an AST whose term ends in 3 months. One wants to move out to get work elsewhere and I want to support her in this. The other has an apparently suitable replacement who I would like to sign up as a tenant. Can the existing departing tenant assign her tenancy (with my consent)??

Can I ask existing remaining tenant to replace his old contract with a new one for another fixed period jointly with teh newcomer?

What else cold I do? I would rathe not have the insecurity of having 2 separate contracts.


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    The only way to deal with this is to do a new tenancy again with the remaining and new one named.

    This new tenancy can start anytime (although we would generally start it on a rent day for simplicity). If it starts before the old one ends, that’s okay because the new tenancy automatically gets rid of the old tenancy.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)