Changing the Rent (England) | During the Tenancy (England) | England

Landlord is a registered Charity

13 May 2021 | 1 comment

We have a landlord that is a registered Charity and although it  houses local people at slightly reduced rents and  is a large part of what it does it isnt solely just housing and it supports numerous other  good causes as well. Would the housing they provide be classified as “Social housing” being charity? The reason asked is because a tenant having just  received  a modest rent increase has directed us towards the government website for rent increases for “social housing” which states minimal increases. Having tried to search on-line I cant seem to get a definitive answer for what is classed as social housing.



1 Comment

  1. guildy

    Social lettings isn’t particularly our field of knowledge but, from what’s described, we would agree that this seems to be just a normal private letting that happens to be a charity as the landlord. In effect, we can’t see any difference between this and a limited company being the landlord for example.

    There are a number of landlords which can be excluded from granting an assured shorthold tenancy including registered housing housing associations (which are often charities) but there doesn’t seem to be anything like that here.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)