Nuisance and Anti-social Behaviour (England)

noise nuisance

19 Jun 2020 | 1 comment


My tenants are in an ex-council flat. Some neighbours complain to the council, as freeholders about noise. The council came back to me to sort this. I spoke to the tenants and they say they will be less noisy but then another complaint comes.

I asked the council housing officer how they can help but he says they cannot help as they are my tenants. Is there any guideline about when noise isn’t allowed – the officer says all the time.

Can this affect my lease with the freeholder?

Any suggestions will be helpful



1 Comment

  1. Imported

    21/04/2020 5:09 pm

    A landlord is not generally liable for the actions of the tenant. Furthermore, it will no doubt be a term of your tenancy with the tenant to not cause a nuisance or annoyance to neighbours (or similar wording). As such, you will have done what you need to.

    We do have a template here to step it up from having a word to something in writing:

    However, if that doesn’t work, you could serve notice for possession. You don’t necessarily have to go to court but it might show how serious it is. The problem is that they might just go which might not be ideal at the moment so think carefully before doing this.

    Alternatively, most local authorities will have an anti-social behaviour department or contact. A complaint can be made to that department/contact and the other occupiers who complain can be directed to them.


Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)