Ending a Tenancy (England) | Landlord Wants Tenant to Leave (England)

notice to quit

26 Jul 2018 | 1 comment

How do you serve a notice to Quit for a Licencee occupying your property under Section 188 of the housing Act 1996. This is a tenant placed in my property by the HPU Section of a London borough as a temporary accommodation.
Do you serve the normal Section 21 notice and how long?


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    We don’t see how the occupier can be holding a licence. Section 188 has nothing to do with recovering possession and is just about a local authority duty under homelessness provisions.

    From what you describe, the council simply introduced the tenant to the landlord but the occupier is nonetheless the landlord’s tenant.

    In which case, the tenancy will be a normal assured shorthold tenancy and the usual rules apply (section 8 or 21).

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)