We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Preventing Controlling and Recovering Rent Arrears (England)

Outstanding rent arrears claim from previous tennants

17 Jan 2017 | 1 comment

Hello our previous tenants owe us nearly two thousand pounds in rent arrears. We have sent several letters together with a copy of the original 6 month tenancy agreement showing a statement that this agreement once lapsed will be effective on a monthly rolling basis if not replaced. The tenants father signed this agreement as guarantor. Do you believe we have a chance to claim our outstanding rent from the guarator via court action if necessary? I would be grateful for your view and happy to send you a copy of the documents sent to the ex tenant and the guarantor if this will aid your considerations. Thank you in advance. Samantha Roberts, keepers cottage, marton.


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    The guarantor should pay you when the tenant hasn’t. If they are a home owner, that makes your position even stronger.

    You could take court action or alternatively you could consider a debt collector first. When choosing a debt collector, never agree to pay any money upfront and ensure it’s based solely on commission on money received.

    If choosing court action, you should sue both of them jointly because in order to determine how much a guarantor owes, you must first determine how much the the tenant owes.

    Please see here for bringing a small claim against a person.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)