Check out the new websites that we will be moving to soon - [England]( or [Wales](
Check out the new websites that we will be moving to soon - [England]( or [Wales](
powered by bulletin


Ending a Tenancy (Wales) | Landlord Wants Tenant to Leave (Wales) | Wales

removing one of two named tenants

17 May 2022 | 1 comment

Hi have a situation a couple is both named on the tenancy but the husband has been abusive to the wife and has left but the council saying he still has the right to live there there is still 3 months left on the agreement what can i do to just have the wife on the agreement and keep her safe


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    During the fixed term, the only way is to have an agreement from all parties to end that tenancy and then create a new one. From what’s described, the husband doesn’t agree (hence the council have told you he still has the right to be there).

    However, from 15 July, there will be changes under Renting Homes Act to allow the addition and removal of a contract-holder without ending the contract (although not sure that assists during fixed-term).

    Soon, we will be advising you to do a renewal before 15 July on the new style contracts, so you are ready for conversion. In the meantime, if you can get some confirmation from the husband that “there’s no intention to return”, you would be able to make the new contract in the sole name.

    Please see here for this guidance

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)