We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (England) | Landlord Wants Tenant to Leave (England)

repaying overpaid housing benefit

3 Mar 2017 | 2 comments

I have a tenant who claims housing benefit, and I am about to issue a section 21 as she is in arrears with her rent. The housing benefit dept. have started to claim back overpayments dating back to March 2016, from the next 18 months worth of payments, as my tenant failed to inform them that she had been working much longer hours. I receive her housing benefit directly into my bank, so I just want to make sure that when I do issue a section 21, and I do eventually get my property back, that I am not liable to pay back these overpayments. I want to make sure that it is my tenant who is liable for paying it back, even when she is no longer in my property.
Many thanks.



  1. guildy

    From what you describe, you shouldn’t be liable for any of the overpayment. It must be recovered from the person who caused the overpayment or from any person who could have reasonably known it was an overpayment.

    Please see this article for in-depth information.

    • sambam47180

      Thank you, Guildy. Your advice has been invaluable during this process.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)