We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
We have now moved to our new websites - [England](https://england.landlordsguild.com) or [Wales](https://wales.landlordsguild.com)
powered by bulletin


Changing the Rent (England) | During the Tenancy (England) | England

Section 13 on HMO

29 Jun 2021 | 1 comment

I am issuing a tenant with a section 13 rent increase. They are a tenant on a HMO agreement and have council tax and water charges included in the rent so I am unsure what to put in section 5. Should I put ‘included’ rather than Nil.


1 Comment

  1. guildy

    No, we don’t think it’s included – it’s just they don’t have it to pay. There’s no apportionment mentioned from what’s described (e.g. £x rent, £x water, £x council tax). It’s a bit like you pay buildings insurance but it’s not included in the rent, it’s just an expense you have and they don’t. Therefore, from what’s described, just ‘NIL’ still applies.

    As a side note, the way you’re doing it is correct because you should never split the rent like the example above because under Tenant Fees Act, it’s unlawful to make Council Tax payable to a landlord by the tenant.

Submit a Comment

View your previously asked questions. (Will only show questions from August 2020)

(Link above back to topic only works for questions added after end of August 2020)