I am receiving conflicting advice about use of an open fireplace. I am told by my agent that if I give permission to my new tenant to use the open fireplace (which is in working order and has a chimney sweep certificate) I have to provide a fire guard attached to the wall. A fire specialist told me if the fireguard doesn’t work and the fire spits and sets fire to the house I am liable because it is the fireguard I have supplied.
What is correct?
I am also told that I need a CO alarm. But I understood that was for ‘appliances’ not open fires which I have never considered to be an appliance.
Which is correct please?