Recent Articles

Council Tax – Adaptation of Property

Question I am aware that if I let a large house to individual tenants on individual tenancy agreements on a per room basis, I will have the council tax to pay. I have been told by a friend though that even if I let the same property to 5 people on one tenancy agreement I could still be held liable to pay council tax as landlord. Is this ...
Tenants Misled About Planning Row Over Their Homes

Tenants Misled About Planning Row Over Their Homes

A landlord who failed to tell his tenants that their flats had no planning permission has lost what is believed to be the first consumer protection test case for unfair trading. Majid Sanlinejad had converted a flat into two smaller homes with breached London’s Southwark Council minimum size rules – a studio apartment and a one bedroom ...

Definition of “Application”?

In the case I am currently dealing with, the agent received the deposit on 1 August 2008 and protected it on 1 April 2010. The agent received the part 8 claim issued by the tenant claiming 3 x compensation and repayment of the deposit from the court on 8 April 2010 which had been posted on 6 April 2010. Unfortunately, the court failed to fill ...

Relevant Person

What is a relevant person? "relevant person" means any person who, in accordance with arrangements
made with the tenant, paid the deposit on behalf of the tenant. [s213(10) HA 2004]. The DPS call a relevant person a "third party" in their scheme rules. It is important to remember that when you provide the prescribed information, it must also be provided

Smoke free legislation

Smoke free legislation came into effect in England on 1st July 2007 (Wales was smoke free prior to this date). There are minor obligations on landlords in certain dwellings that a landlord manages. The first thing to establish is, what is and what isn't smoke free. Are Private Dwellings smoke free? No. Premises are smoke free if they are (a)

What is Universal Credit?

What is universal credit? Universal Credit will sweep away the current benefits system and provide a single monthly payment for people on a low income or are out of work. It will include support for the costs of housing, children and childcare, as well as support for disabled people and carers. Universal Credit will replace: ...

Person from whom housing benefit overpayment recovery may be sought

A common problem landlords who accept housing benefit face is the local authority asking for money back after they have overpaid. This only applies to landlords who receive the housing benefit payment direct. When a local authority is deciding to recover an overpayment, they must first consider "is the overpayment recoverable?" which is dealt