The source of this article is from the fantastic book Residential Possession Proceedings by Gary Webber and Daniel Dovar.


A landlord wants to bring an assured shorthold tenancy to an end. To do so he must serve a notice under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 stating that he requires possession. That section provides for two different types of notice. The first may be served under s21(1). The second under s21(4). What are the detailed requirements for each? What happens if you a mistake in the notice? When is it necessary to serve a notice under s21(1)? And when is it necessary to serve a notice under s21(4)? These are the questions considered by this article. It is also considers whether or not “saving formulas” work.

The requirements of each notice

Where s21(1) applies the landlord must give to the tenant

... Please login or signup to continue reading this content