If a local authority has paid a tenant in error, for example if the tenant is 8 weeks in arrears and despite the landlords notification that the tenant is in arrears, they continue to pay the tenant, then a landlord will be able to appeal or claim compensation.

Appeal or compensation?

Often, payment is simply made to the tenant without any notification to the landlord whatsoever. If the landlord has received nothing in writing, then claiming compensation is the correct method.


... Please login or signup to continue reading this content