We all know the problem. If a tenant is in arrears and they are claiming Housing Benefit, the landlord can request payment be made direct. However a landlord does not always know if a tenant is claiming Housing Benefit or not. The local authority will refuse to inform the landlord under the cloak of Data Protection Act.

However, there is way to force the council to notify a landlord with regards to payments of housing benefit made to a tenant.

The appropriate legislation is

... Please login or signup to continue reading this content